‘One of the most remarkable days Tullamore has seen for some time’: A Fashionable Marriage in Tullamore 135 years ago – Michael F. Gorry senior and Edith McGlynn. Blog no. 812, 21 Aug. 2026 by Michael Byrne.

Then, as now, fashionable weddings get a lot of press attention. Michael F. Gorry was the great grandfather of Francis (Francie) Gorry whose family had the famous newsagency shop in Harbour Street, Tullamore for over 100 years. Michael F. Gorry was the first person to be buried in the new Catholic cemetery in Clonminch in 1893. The report of a wedding on 31 July 1891 was published in the Midland Tribune on 8 August and no doubt created a stir in Tullamore. The style of the report was that of the kind carried in the Birr Protestant and unionist King’s County Chronicle, a then hated rival of the Midland Tribune, and might have been related to Gorry’s being the agent for the Birr Chronicle in Tullamore.  One James Joyce also used this style to describe fashionable bourgeois occasions is his Ulysses (published in 1922).

 

Gorry’s news store with Francie Gorry and tailor Percy McCabe. A photograph by the late Clement McMorris in 1988.

Now read on, the report of the wedding, as published on a summer’s day in 1891:

An after dinner contribution by one of the Boys

It was with much pleasure we announce the union of Michael Gorry, Senr, bill-poster, etc, Tullamore with Edith, only surviving daughter of the late Luke Mc Glynn, Esq, of Gortan House, Portarlington, which was celebrated in the Catholic Church, Tullamore, on Friday last, before a numerous and select assembly of friends and relatives from the town and its environs. It may be imagined that an event of such rare occurrence created no small sensation amongst the elite of the capital of the King’s County, and for the short time immediately preceding the interesting day popular excitement was further intensified by the unusual bustle noticeable in the drapery and other business establishments in town. The morning of the 31st broke with a cloudless sky, which excellent character the weather maintained during the entire day, and contributed thereby in no small degree to aid in the universal rejoicing. As noon advanced Harbour Street and the other approaches to the Catholic Church were a scene of the most intense commotion, as the equipage of the various guests dashed up to the entrance gate and disburthened themselves of their brilliant occupants. However, the climax of excitement was reached with arrival of the bride, who, accompanied by the Hon Mrs Carpenter and some other ladies, drove up in a magnificent carriage drawn by four spanking greys with white rosettes.

An advert for the Gorry newsagency in the Kilbride C of I magazine (a now rare issue) about 1900

Next came the bridesmaids, of whom there were six, and shortly afterwards the bridegroom in company with his son, Master Aubrey Coleman. The sight within the sacred edifice was one not soon to be forgotten by those who had the good fortune to be present  – the spacious building being crammed to its  utmost capacity – the galleries with handsomely attired ladies, and their escorts; the nave and aisles with friends and invited guests of the happy couple, while the outer space was thronged with the rougher element- the unsoaped of Upper Barrack-street [now Kilbride Street] who pushed and jostled among themselves, each endeavouring to obtain a closer view of the interesting pair whose lives and fortunes were about being permanently and inseparably united. The scene was of the most solemn impressiveness, as the wedding cortege advanced with stately tread up the centre of the nave to the joyful music of Mendelssohn’s wedding match, which was rendered by the organist in her usual excellent style. First came the bride, arrayed in a richly embroidered gown of most exquisite design, specially procured from the establishment of the prince of Paris modistes – M. Rouvellier, and leaning upon the arm of the Hon Thomas Carpenter, who gave her away. She was attended by six bridesmaids, while Master Edwin Gorry acted as page. Then came the bridegroom looking unusually well – his splendid proportions being shown off to perfection in a tight-fitting black coat with drab trousers.

The nuptial ceremony having concluded the wedding party, with their guests proceeded to the palatial residence of Mr Gorry at Riverview Terrace, where a splendid dejeuner was awaiting them. Amongst those present I noticed Mr Michael F. Gorry, (son); Mrs and the Masters Gorry; The Hon Thomas and Mrs Carpenter; Master Aubrey Coleman, Sir Joseph Peterson (Flogg); Lady Peterson and party; John Whelehan, Esq,; Mrs Whelehan and the Misses Whelehan, &c., &c., &c., Amongst the toasts were “Our Guests” proposed by Mr Gorry, and responded to by Sir Joseph Peterson. Next came the “Bride and Bridegroom,” proposed by the Hon. Thomas Carpenter, and drunk rapturously. The Happy couple departed on their honeymoon by the 3.26 p.m. train for Dublin in a special saloon carriage. It is stated they intend visiting the Highland lakes and from there proceeding to Switzerland and the Riviera, returning via Paris and the Rhine, about the end of October.

In the evening a large and fashionably attended ball was held at Riverview Villa, after which there were fireworks displays, &c., bringing to a close one of the most remarkable days Tullamore has seen for some time (Midland Tribune, 8 Aug. 1891).

Ends

Of some of the lesser detail in this 1891 news report a John McGlynn, aged 14, was living with the Gorry family as a servant in 1911 (census) while Michael Coleman, a nephew, was living with Mrs Gorry and some members of the family in 1901 (census) in what was then a two-house establishment for Mr and Mrs Gorry (and it would appear was also such in 1891).

By now you may have guessed that this report is an example of early ‘Fake News’ and was a bit of fun poked at old Mr Gorry. Michael F. Gorry, senior died in November 1893 and was the first person buried in the new Catholic cemetery at Spollanstown/Clonminch. Something that was always considered a mark of distinction in Tullamore and worthy of a six-marker in a local quiz. His son M.F. died in 1938 and grandson Francie died fifty years later in 1998, bringing to an end four generations in the news and bill posting business. In a short obituary of Michael F. in 1893 it was noted:

The Tullamore Bellman: Michael Gorry, a well-known local manikin, has joined the “majority”. He had been ailing for a year and a half from paralysis, and was attended by his son. He was also a newsvendor, with a warm affection for the King’s County Chronicle. He was the first to be interred in the new cemetery lately consecrated at Spollanstown. The funeral was on Friday, and attended by a large number. On the coffin were many wreaths (King’s County Chronicle, 9 Nov. 1893).

Michael F. Gorry, second generation of 1896 at the Ballykilmurry races (soon to be overtaken by golf)

The Gorry shop may have dated from 1896 and was a treasured institution in Tullamore famous and loved over three generations. Some readers will recall ‘young’ Albert Gorry of Park Avenue, Tullamore who died in 1968 and had been a regular in delivering to the houses the Evening Press and the Evening Herald. The shop always had some member of the local ‘commentariat’ present to provide the up-to-date news and analysis of the passing scene.

Setting for that great wedding day in July 1891 at the old church in Harbour Street. This was the principal entrance.

A photograph of Gorry’s with James Lowry by Clement McMorris about 1990.